You can make this for a family of six or for a crowd of 200+ – it is always a hit. The emphasis is on SLOW!
4 lamb shanks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 ml coriander seeds
1 small dried red chilli
10 ml dried rosemary
5 ml dried marjoram or oregano
45 ml flour
15 ml olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 large carrots, peeled
6 sticks of celery
30 ml balsamic vinegar
250 ml dry white wine
1 x 45 g tin of anchovy fillets (optional)
2 x 410 g tinned plum tomatoes
1 handful of fresh basil, oregano or flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped for garnishing
Serve with Gremolata
60 ml parsley, finely chopped
Rind of 2 lemons, finely grated
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
45 ml extra virgin olive oil
Grind the coriander, chilli, rosemary and oregano in a coffee grinder or with a pestle and mortar.
• Season the meat with salt, pepper, the spice mixture and flour and put in a casserole.
• Finely chop all the remaining ingredients (except for the fresh herbs) and pour over the meat.
• Bake in the oven at 180°C for about
• 4 hours or until soft but not falling off the bone.
• Skim off any fat and season to taste.
• Garnish with the roughly chopped fresh basil, oregano or flat-leaf parsley.
• Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and serve with the meat